Wednesday, July 1, 2009

There are No Fireflies in the City


The black night breeze blows through my window. I'm redirected to the skyline of a city with everything imaginable; a city full to the brim of opportunity and chances and dead ends and endless nights. I'm staring into the twinkle of adjacent apartment lights and street lamps and the occasional air plane full of people ready to be on solid ground.

Where are my mountains? Where are my oak trees taller than the buildings? Where are the porch swings and the ropes hanging from trees? Where is the chirping of Cicadas and the glow of fireflies? These too are life experiences worth having; completely removed yet present with yourself and your surroundings: carefree.

I cannot tell you about the content of my GLSEN internship due to confidentiality reasons, but I can tell you that this opportunity will not go wasted; I'm utilizing my presence in the office, and making myself very useful, I hope, to the Research Department. To say the least, I'm excited to see a spread sheet of everything I'll have worked on and completed.

Tomorrow I'm planning on going on a walking tour in the East Village and befriending some hipster kids. Wish me luck!

CONRAD'S MUST-DO'S:
** SPEND THE EVENING WATCHING 30 ROCK.
** HAVE YOUR FIRST DEPARTMENT MEETING.


CONRAD'S MUST-NOT'S:
** EAT NON-STOP: CRACKERS + PEANUTBUTTER, COOKIES, BAKED PASTA, BAGEL + CREAM CHEESE + JAM

** TAKE THE WRONG SUBWAY EXIT.

No comments:

Post a Comment