Thursday, July 2, 2009

Christopher Street Nostalgia



When I came home today, I put curry powder in my black beans, and it really spiced things up. I mean, it was still black beans, but I had the distinct impression of eating something from Sitar.

Waking up to construction sucks. Especially when your alarm goes off and you can't hear it because the jack hammers are just that cool. I was not enthused.
On a positive note, GLSEN work is going great! I have to admit, this is serious business. I like to think my strengths lie in grass roots organizing and youth outreach. However, this job has me outreaching to high-ups, and... researching. It's definitely a great learning process. At the core of which are some fabulous people: Liz, Sam, and Maria are phenomenal, and very patient. I was able to pull through for the team relatively fast, and made two connections in our project that we were having troubles making. Go Conrad!

After work, I trained to Christopher Street. For those of you acclimated to NYC, you'll know the first thing I saw when I walked out of the station: Stonewall Inn! Unfortunately, it's 21 and up. An older gay man helped me figure this out, and then helped me figure out where the Christopher Street Pier is. I feel kind of bad for ditching him, but I'm not gonna' lie -- he was lookin' for something more than the Pier.

Hanging out on the Pier was an especially moving experience. The controversy around gentrification and kicking LGBT youth of color out of the neighborhood is such a local problem, yet I felt so connected to the those feelings as I enjoyed the brief sun and rumbling water. Where else are we supposed to go when there's no where else to go? Interrupting my thoughts was a massive rainstorm, which lead to a condensed group of people under one awning. As I huddled with patrons of the pier under the small white pavilion, I felt a sense of comradeship with my New York brothers and sisters; being LGBT really is more than the individual: we are a community everywhere. Maybe that's why they're scared of us!

CONRAD'S MUST-DO'S:
** DO WHAT'S EASIEST FIRST; IT MIGHT SAVE YOU A TON OF TIME.
** WATCH THE HUDSON WHILE IT'S RAINING.

** LISTEN TO SAM WHEN HE TELLS YOU WHERE TO EAT. MEDITERANIAN FAJITA!


CONRAD'S MUST-NOT'S:
** ALLOW YOURSELF TO BE OBJECTIFIED BY GAY MEN STANDING OUTSIDE "THE RAM ROD" BAR.

** TAKE SHELTER IN A SEX SHOP.

** WORRY ABOUT OLD PEOPLE.

No comments:

Post a Comment