Sunday, July 5, 2009

A Quiet Testimonial to My Existence


The sun wakes me up in the morning. It drowns my room with the rising day.

I contemplate whether or not to rise with the day. The thought of sleeping in is appealing, but so is lifting my body and greeting NYC with a smile. I chose the latter, and trek down to 3rd Ave and 15th street for Quaker Meeting.

The meeting was... The meeting was a miserable experience. I found myself focusing on my spirit, but then immediately finding priority in "matters of consequence" such as, "OMG when am I going to get that biology homework done?!" or "Am I going to Emory? Am I going to Columbia? Why am I going anywhere?!" My resolution was to book it and find a spot at Marie's to work on my government and econ. assignments for the day.

Thankfully I took a deep breath and saw the beauty of the sun; always waking me up for a new approach. I whimsically decided to take the L to 6th, transfer to the 1, walk up Whitehall/Broadway, withdraw some cash, take the 1 back uptown, and get off at Christopher Street for an afternoon on the pier. Oh yes, I've mastered the subways (1, A, C, L, and D).

The rest of the day was spent at Marie's. I've been filling time with internet, texting, and of course listening to the wonderful stories of Marie Runyon. The woman is a treasure chest! Way better than 30 Rock (sorry Tina!).

All the while I think I may have talked for a total time of 20 minutes through out the entire day. My mind is bursting at the seams with things to say, but who to say them too.
My silence and presence in quiet is truly a testimonial to my individual existence within myself. Though I love to interact and engage with people, the time spent in thought is time spent finding someone to satisfy all those needs in house: me.

CONRAD'S MUST-DO'S:
** BE SPONTANEOUS. GO INTO THAT SEX STORE WITH ALL THE LEATHER.
** EAT BARBEQUE CHICKEN PIZZA TO REMIND YOU OF ATLANTA AND JAKE.
** SIT AT THE END OF THE PIER AND SING ALONG TO B-52's.
** BLEND IN AND BE ASKED TO TAKE TOURISTS' PHOTOS.


CONRAD'S MUST-NOT'S:
** GO INTO THAT SEX STORE WITH ALL THE LEATHER.

** SUNBURN.

** RIDE THE SAME SUBWAY AS THE SAME CRAZY MAN TWICE IN A ROW.

** MAKE EYE CONTACT WITH PEOPLE IN A BLANK STARE.

No comments:

Post a Comment