Sunday, July 12, 2009

Chelsea, Stop It!


While you lie in slumber, I'll wake up early and I'll go and milk the goats. You stay in bed and play around inside your dreams

The sound of laughter and pleasantries -- and clinking coffee cups wake me up. It's a much needed change to the typical construction work going on in the background. 11:00 feels so guilty when there's so much to be doing, but the rest was much needed. Ron and neighbor jest that the dog, Bryce, might have some functional issues mentally. They compare this dysfunction to that of our domineering roommate. Smiling, I agree in my head, and then later over bagels and orange juice. I gently wake and send out some preliminary texts, "I'll be there in an hour or so." Two hours later! What can I say? I talked to my mom, I talked to Jake, and then I helped a man carry his dolly out of the subway.

Making one's way downtown is a trek. Little did I know, George had me walking all day! I mentioned not having explored the East Village yet, and never having gone to Chelsea. He, his friend, and I walked to a delicious Thai restaurant where I indulged my craving for Thai iced tea and some color of curry. Next stop: cupcakery! Intermission: lomography! My Holga! My Fisheye! I've sparked George's interest, and he finds the seed of a new passion in toy cameras. I found another treat from home -- Chocolate Peanut butter pie; it was more than delicious, but less than Tomato Head. However, it made me miss home and days in Krutch park under trees eating pie with Starling.

Walking through Chelsea, I discovered the hip spot known for the queer flare is really a runway for in shape gay men, coffee shops, and bars. The glamor of this spot is lost, and I'm left swatting at it as I enter the Meat Packing District. Shortly into this neighborhood, George and I fall into an amazingly tacky, yet irresistible, street fair! Music from the roof tops showered us with melodies and an urge to move. Fire breathers briefly impressed us with short talents, but attitude is everything. The free lemonade was beyond the best lemonade either of us has had. People were dressed as balloon germs (?). Target logos and sponsorship everywhere.

Back to the Lomo store! My interest is sparked by a multi-image camera, and I'm thinking I might go back and get it. George finds kin in the Diana, which he promptly has assembled, and we're on the streets searching for lomo-moments. We find almost a whole role at the Pier, but mainly lie in the grass absorbing the warmth of the afternoon sun. I briefly consider myself attached to the Earth. The moment provokes me to ask, "What is attached to Earth?"

Back at my buddy's I'm exposed to a whole new fascination: True Blood! It's either the most pointless show, or one of the most interesting! I say that because I'm not keeling over for vampire action, and I absolutely disprove of this Twilight momentum that's been built over the past year. However, for those unaware of the show's content, there's a strong claim/premise the show draws parallels between the convictions of hatred towards vampires to that of LGBT people (had being gay been suddenly legalized in the 50s).

Tonight I walked through Columbia campus, and I was struck at how at home it seemed. I looked up and could see the stars. I looked to my left and future friends sat watching and talking on the steps of Lowes Library. To my left students congregated in the fields. A moment's feeling urges me to really consider living here.

CONRAD'S MUST-DO'S:
** HELP PEOPLE READ MAPS AND FIND OUT WHERE THEY'RE GOING.

** LISTEN TO PANDORA RADIO STATION: THE BLOW.
** WALK. ABSORB THE CITY ONE STEP AT A TIME.

** UNDERSTAND THAT YES, MANHATTAN IS BEING GENTRIFIED; SUPPORT LOCAL BUSINESS.


CONRAD'S MUST-NOT'S:

** LEAVE SOAP SCUM. ANYWHERE.

** WALK PAST RAM ROD ALONE.

** STAY UP LATE ON WORK NIGHTS.

** MAKE BROWNIES AND THEN NOT EAT THEM (THEY'RE STILL GOOD!).

1 comment:

  1. Conrad,
    UM, HEY. SO I SEE YOU HAVE TIME TO MENTION ME IN YOUR BLOG, BUT NOT CALL ME EVER. OK.
    heehee... I kid with you, although of course my feelings of pride and happiness in/for you and always tinted by frustration at not receiving any emails/postcards/phone calls/texts/letters from you... But of course, I understand.
    My first question is this: Is that a balloon shrimp?

    that is all.

    oh so much love,
    Starling

    ReplyDelete