Saturday, July 11, 2009

Oh Yes!


Let's address what some of you are thinking about briefly: I did not post last night. I came home at 9:00, finished eating dinner at 10:30, and then had to set up this damned air mattress (which took a whole 45 minutes before I realized the air release was open!), and then I had to clean up. By the time it was said and done, I was tired, frustrated, and worn out. Everyone thank Jake for being the best boyfriend ever.

I don't quite understand how the dynamics of my day work.

I wake up when I'm supposed to be leaving. Leave rather later. Get to work on time. Score two more major successes as soon as I get there. Complain. Eat brownies. Though I've started the day horribly and in a state of panic, I end up being more than OK. This throws off my expected mood of the day.

I went to Yes after work just in time for the Young Men's discussion group. The experience was uplifting on the shear grounds of making intellectual claims with other people. Up until now, the mere act of talking with another person could make my day; I've spoiled myself by allowing a deeper interaction between people to happen! We talked about dating someone with disability/limitations. What I ended up concluding is that the dynamic between someone abled and differently abled should be that of understanding and respect. Oh, like all relationships! I found myself saying, "As long as there was no perception that there was responsibility or burden, then I feel like a relationship would work".

I also brought brownies; people like that.

Last night Jack Mackenroth, Project Runway Season 4 contestant, came to speak with the group after a screening of the Men's Challenge, which he won. I should say that I didn't expect him to be as surrounded with stardom as he is. Though, he treated his celebrity status very lightly, and he was very much the down to Earth guy we all hoped he'd be. I promised I'd write something friendly about him in my blog, and may I just say his nose is real, he is very talented, and terribly aware of issues of need. His complete being seems very genuine. As I said before, he is the first person I've met and identified as HIV positive. The experience was all around very comforting; I didn't squirm or have a fit when we posed together, nor did his status factor into my opinions about his character. I feel much better about myself and my judgments after meeting him, and cannot thank him enough for allowing that growth.

CONRAD'S MUST-DO'S:
** SPEND YOUR FRIDAY NIGHT MAKING CURRY IN THE KITCHEN.

** SNAP YOUR FINGERS LIKE A DIVA TO MAKE FRIENDS.

** APPRECIATE THE AMAZING OPPORTUNITIES IN YOUR LIFE, EVEN WHEN THEY'RE UNCOMFORTABLE.


CONRAD'S MUST-NOT'S:
** LEAVE THE FAN ON (SORRY ROBI!).

** STRESS OUT ABOUT BEING DUMB.

** FORGET TO WEAR DEODERENT (ALLUMINUM FREE!).

No comments:

Post a Comment