Sunday, June 28, 2009

Sweatin' to the Oldies!


The train ride here to NYC was a jostle that left my mind a jar to float in and out of my dreams and gratitude. Whether it was thinking of Jake and talking to Jeremy, or thanking the woman who grabbed and ran with my suitcase so that I wouldn't miss my train, the time was full of thought.

Not two hours later I was careening through NYC subways; scrambling with two heavy suit cases going uptown. When I made it to the A train, I let out a sigh of relief and sat atop my giant pink luggage and twiddled my thumbs. It was truly a sight to see, and I wish someone had taken my photograph.

Little did I know, the trek from the subway to Marie's would nearly kill me: 100 + steps, the hot sun, and getting lost. It was miserable! I must have looked pitiful, and as if I could break after the next step.

Marie is pleasantly crazy. She greeted me with sincere enthusiasm, which I met with smiles and hugs. Her assistant, Kataleena, has become my liaison to the works of this apartment, and I thank her for it; Marie is short of sight and hearing, and is therefore a giant ball of beautiful quirks to untangle. Forcing her Swiss and mayonnaise sandwich on me, sticking me in the most open room, and treating me as if I'm put out by her; she's really a dear, that woman. I hope we become besties!

I walked down 125th today after stopping for a break. H&M was my target, but I ended up experiencing other things as well. In addition to the sea foam bubble short shorts I bought, I conquered the busy streets like a pro (which you need to be!). I witnessed Harlem mourn the death of a star, and I watched the perpetual capitalism that must take place to sustain these street vendors; may I just throw it out there that these people make their life's means by vending? It's ridiculous; how do you make enough money to support yourself from selling flavored ice, roasted pea nuts, Michael Jackson memorabilia, knock off clothing, and cell phone cases? I'm amazed, and somewhat awestruck.

There's a beautiful crepery near here. I had a chicken (no vegetarian dinner option) with ratatouille. It was divine; they served water from a wine glass, and I sat by a small mosaic table absorbing the french life.

The breeze is delightful. There's no AC, and the temperature is perfect.

I'm generally content. Part of me wants to go home. However, I'm giving it the boot. I'm simply tired, nervous, and anxious about tomorrow. Do wish me luck!

CONRAD'S MUST-DO'S:
** SHOP AT H&M IF YOU'RE TINY.
** CROSS THE STREET AND LOOK LOCAL.


CONRAD'S MUST-NOT'S:
** WALK THROUGH THE PARK AT NIGHT FRUSTRATED.

** PSYCHE YOURSELF OUT ABOUT MEETING OBAMA.

No comments:

Post a Comment