Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Creating Change Means Flying to Dallas


"May I congratulate you first for human, human of the year; you've won!"

A fluorescent pink suitcase sits zipped up, not full, but accomplished. It's a carry on; ready for the quick maneuvers of some international airport time.

I am not a particular fan of the airport. Security, checking in, busy people doing busy things on PDAs and iPods and with small children that don't know what it means to be busy. It's not the people; the people are delightful. It's not the food -- though airport food is notoriously overpriced and under quality. It's primarily the flying part.

However, destination Dallas requires a good hour and a half of flying. Last time I flew into Texas the plane felt like it was going to plummet. Terrifying much?

Going against Gandhian practices of thinking about the means as justifying the end, I'm taking the bullet and accepting the fact that Dallas is the headquarters for Creating Change. A hotbed of activist activity and advocacy and networking and mainly tweeting. It's essential, if you're an activist, to have a twitter.

Just last week I was at Highlander with some real activists. Activists looking to change the structure of how we work in advocacy and social justice. I like to sum it up by saying I was there to explore the possibility of expanding the LGBT Equality movement to incorporate a broader base and civil disobedience. I like to think that this is going to work because I believe in what's right. I'm wondering what others think is right, and that's why I'm going to Creating Change. I'm going to create change, too.

First: pit stop in Chattanooga, then Atlanta.

CONRAD'S DO'S
** THINK OF MIKE AND DANTE AND THANK THEM
** DO STUFF YOUR FACE WITH PRETZELS AND HOT CHOCOLATE
** DO GET A TWITTER

CONRAD'S DON'TS
** DON'T WAIT UNTIL 12:30 TO START PACKING
** DON'T ANTICIPATE FEAR IN FLIGHT
** DON'T LOOK FOR A BELT THAT IS RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU FOR 30 MINUTES.

No comments:

Post a Comment